On Saturday, April 13th, Jersey City celebrated the fourth annual “Keep Jersey City Beautiful Day.” Each year, this day brings thousands of Jersey City residents together to focus on litter reduction, recycling, greening initiatives, and neighborhood beautification. Clean up activities took place across the City, including at Adopt-A-Lot (AAL) community gardens. This program allows residents to transform vacant City-owned properties into community gardens. During Keep Jersey City Beautiful Day, AAL gardens held open hours for the public to stop by, learn how to become a member, and get their hands in the soil.
For more information on how to become a member or volunteer, contact Carena Miles, Healthy Food Access Coordinator, at 201-547-5289.
Make sure to visit any of our five Adopt-A-Lots including:
- Brunswick Community Garden (174-176 Brunswick St)
- The Children’s Garden (280 Grove St)
- Mandela Lot Community Garden (447 MLK Jr. Dr.)
- Ogden’s End Community Garden (105 Ogden Avenue), and
- Riverview Community Garden (285 Ogden Ave)
Gardens are open from May through November.